Nephrology & Kidney Diseases
Indiana’s Only Evaluation and Treatment Service for Children with Kidney Disease or Failure
Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health provides Indiana’s only evaluation and treatment services for children with kidney disease or kidney failure. Our pediatric nephrologists, urologists and dialysis nurses work as a team to provide highly specialized and expert care to our patients.
We provide the state's only comprehensive evaluation and treatment services for children with kidney disease or kidney failure. Our team includes pediatric nephrologists, urologists and dialysis nurses. Riley is a leader in kidney transplantation and has worked to perfect a new hemodialysis technology — continuous veno-venous hemofiltration (CVVH).
Ranked 22nd in Nephrology
The conditions and diseases we treat include:
- Acute and chronic kidney failure
- Blood in the urine
- Congenital diseases of the kidney (polycystic kidney disease and renal aplasia)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Kidney stones
- Kidney transplants
- Kidney tubular acidosis
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Protein in the urine
- Structural abnormalities of the kidneys and lower urinary tract
Our services include:
- Renal biopsies to diagnose kidney disorders.
- Acute hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis for patients with acute kidney failure or poisonings.
- Chronic hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis for patients with permanent kidney failure.
- Training for chronic continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) and continuous cycling peritoneal dialysis (CCPD) performed in the home by caregivers.
- The Riley Dialysis Center at IU Health also offers a form of dialysis called continuous veno-venous hemofiltration (CVVH). Our nephrology team has adapted this technology, which has been used with great success in adults, to provide better care for critically ill children with sudden onset kidney failure.
- Kidney transplants. Since 1961, IU Health has led the state in organ transplantation. More than 1,000 kidney transplants have been performed at IU Health. Our pediatric nephrologists work as a team with our surgical specialists before and after the transplant operation.