Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health pediatric gynecology services encompass every aspect of care for common and complex gynecology and reproductive issues.
Our team of experts includes the only fellowship-trained pediatric and adolescent gynecologist in the state, Dr. Samantha Erin Vilano. Dr. Vilano is an active candidate of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, a fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and a member of the North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology.
Pediatric gynecology services include diagnosis and treatment of the following:
- Abnormal development of the reproductive structures
- Disorders of sexual development
- Early or delayed puberty
- Endometriosis management (medical and surgical therapies)
- Gynecologic care for girls/adolescents with complex medical conditions
- Hormone replacement therapy in ovarian insufficiency
- Hymen abnormalities (imperforate hymen)
- Labial adhesions
- Lichen sclerosus (a skin disorder often found in the groin area)
- Medical uses of hormonal contraceptives
- Menstrual problems
- Menstrual suppression (eliminate / minimize periods)
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Ovarian cysts
- Pelvic and ovarian masses (tumors)
- Pelvic reconstruction for urogenital and anorectal anomalies
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Preventive gynecologic care for the adolescent
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Torsion of the ovary
- Trauma to the genitalia
- Uterine abnormalities
- Vaginal agenesis (absent vagina)
- Vaginal bleeding in the prepubertal child
- Vaginal stenosis (narrowing of the vagina due to scar tissue)
- Vulvar ulcers or lesions
Patients undergoing cancer therapy benefit from menstrual suppression in order to minimize blood loss during chemotherapy. In addition, we will soon be able to provide fertility preservation options, including egg preservation, for young patients wishing to have fertility options after they complete cancer therapy.
Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health provides complete menstrual management for all patients, including menstrual suppression and comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic services as needed. For families already coming to Riley at IU Health for treatment of other conditions, we offer a convenient single stop and a caring touch with a focus on pediatric menstrual issues.
Our team specializes in helping developmentally delayed patients and their families cope with menstruation, which can be distressing for both the child and caregiver. Placement of IUDs for menstrual suppression, along with other common gynecological procedures, can be performed under sedation, often at the same time as another procedure, in order to reduce anxiety and discomfort.
Pelvic and Vaginal Reconstructive Surgery
Children born with complex genital, urinary or anal/rectal malformations benefit from Dr. Vilano’s extensive fellowship training in pelvic reconstructive surgery. In collaboration with surgical experts in urology and other fields, we provide advanced treatment options including vaginal reconstruction or vaginal replacement with graft. Post-surgery counseling, including concerns regarding menarche (first period), sexual debut, future fertility and reproduction are addressed with each patient in a personal care plan.