Pulmonology & Respiratory Care
Here for Children From Their Very First Breath
The pediatric pulmonologists at Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health provide diagnosis and treatment for children and adolescents with a range of chronic respiratory disorders, reactive airway diseases and sleep-related respiratory issues.
Using the most advanced therapies, our pediatric pulmonologists treat a full range of breathing disorders, including asthma, wheezing, coughing, chest pain, viral respiratory infections, structural abnormalities in the respiratory system and chronic lung disease in premature infants. Our physicians are board certified with advanced training in all areas of pulmonary care. We understand the way breathing disorders specifically affect children, and we offer a thorough evaluation, treatment plan and follow-up program to meet the needs of each child.
Along with high-level testing abilities and sophisticated facilities, the pulmonary specialists at Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health are establishing new innovations in care, including:
- Active research in prevention of serious lung damage in children with cystic fibrosis.
- Clinical research efforts in the treatment of asthma that allow us to offer selected patients the latest medications before they are available to the public.
- Special programs for children and adults with cystic fibrosis and for children with apnea (stopping breathing).
- A nationally recognized pediatric Sleep Disorders Center, which is the only one of its kind in Indiana.
- Coordinated home care planning for children who need ventilators, monitoring, supplemental oxygen or private duty nursing care. We also offer 24-hour support from our pediatric pulmonologists, respiratory therapists and nurse specialists.
- Multispecialty care for airway disorders, coordinating with pediatric ENT and Gastroenterology services
Our Pediatric Pulmonology specialists are faculty members of the Indiana University School of Medicine and are also engaged in clinical research. We offer a highly regarded fellowship training program for pediatricians seeking to become specialists in Pulmonology.
The pulmonology team at Riley Hospital treats patients from throughout the Midwest and has a major focus on research into lung development and prevention of lung injury in cystic fibrosis and asthma. Our pulmonologists treat patients with breathing disorders of all kinds, including: asthma, chronic lung diseases and acute breathing problems. Another focus is our sleep disorders center and our state-of-the-art, nationally accredited sleep laboratory. We also provide specialized lung function testing for infants and children in the Pediatric Pulmonary Function Laboratory.
Ranked 13th in Pulmonology.