POWER's Top 10
A healthy weight is important to your child's overall health. Healthy Eating and Physical Activity is all over the news, but is it realistic? With busy schedules, work and school commitments, do you ever feel you don't have time to think of one more thing.
It is not easy, but it is possible. Here are some tips to guide you in your journey.
The top 10… In no particular order. Remember, you don't have to do everything, small steps count. Pick one or two and work on them as a family, and you have succeeded together in taking a step towards a healthier lifestyle.
10. 60 a Day of Play! Instead of watching TV or playing video games tonight get up and move, dance to your family's favorite tunes, or go outside and take a walk together or even make up a new game together. Work your way up to 60 minutes a day of play (this is games and activities not necessarily exercise)
9. Think Backwards! Turn it around, when you plan parties and get together think of what active games and activities you can do, then plan your balance of healthy food choices around your time spent in activity.
8. Non Food Rewards! All kids love rewards and we often think of the traditional food rewards, consider more non traditional rewards such as a walk to the park, reading a book, or a game in the backyard with mom and dad.
7. Eat Your Fruits and Veggies! You didn't get out of this one, sorry. Fruits and Vegetables are good for you for a variety of reasons and even though it can be hard to get your kids to eat them it is important for health. Try fun ways to prepare your fruits and vegetables and consider getting your kids involved in the selection and preparation.
6. Read Labels and Pay Attention to Portion Sizes! As a family learn to read labels and understand what is in the foods you are eating. Pay special attention to portion sizes, so you know how much food you are actually eating.
5. Do It Together! Everyone loves a buddy, increase your physical activity as a family, take walks before dinner, play active games together before you settle down for bed. Consider involving neighborhood families for active play dates.
4. Sleep! Sleep is as important for a healthy lifestyle as diet and exercise. Make sure your family is getting enough sleep each night.
3. Make a schedule and Plan in Advance! Establish a routine, just like you brush your teeth each morning and before bed, find an activity routine. Walk before dinner and do yoga before bed.
2. Don't forget your Calcium! Build strong bones by eating foods rich in calcium like low fat milk, cheeses and yogurt.
1. You're Sweet Enough! Choose food that are low in added sugar, consider switching from sugar sweetened beverages such as juice drinks and soda to water, milk or calorie free beverages.
Inshape Indiana is designed to provide a framework for a personal or organizational fitness initiative. Hoosiers and the companies that employ them have much to gain from improved health. Healthy people perform better and save money for themselves, their employers and the state.