At the Maternity Center at Indiana University Health University Hospital, we recognize you and your baby are part of a unique family. We handle routine births, as well as complicated pregnancies, focusing on your medical and emotional needs. Tours of our center are available upon request. You can also watch a virtual tour.
Experienced IU School of Medicine faculty obstetricians and gynecologists are available throughout your pregnancy. We provide prenatal evaluations and educational programs. These classes educate you about pregnancy, childbirth and the early months of parenting. If you are expecting multiple births, we can help with that as well.
Through our Prenatal Diagnosis Program, we work with families trying to conceive a child as well as those who've lost babies after conception and who want guidance and support. Our obstetricians will evaluate your baby while you are being treated in our hospital as an inpatient or outpatient at our clinic.
Labor and Delivery
Our newly renovated Labor and Delivery unit has private rooms, offering comfortable surroundings for you and your labor support person. Nearby, our surgery and intensive care staff are available if complications occur. In fact, our Obstetrical Intensive Care Unit (OBICU) is staffed by maternal-fetal medicine specialists, obstetricians and gynecologists with advanced training in treating high-risk pregnancies. We serve women throughout Indiana and the region who have been identified to be at high risk.
After birth, we hope you'll keep your baby with you so that the two of you can bond. Lactation consultants are available to assist you while you're learning appropriate breastfeeding techniques.
View a virtual tour of our labor and delivery room. Or call to set up a tour for you and your partner, 317.944.5000.
Depending on the medical needs of you and your baby, you may choose options including:
- Birthing balls, massage therapy and aromatherapy
- Wireless fetal monitoring
- Self-hypnosis techniques via Hypnobabies Childbirth Preparation -- This is a complete childbirth education course that teaches medical hypnosis techniques to mothers so that they can enter hypnosis, deepen it themselves and remain mobile and aware during birth, completely comfortable at all times. Learn more about Hypnobabies birth method at hypnobabies.com.
These personal amenities have been tailored to meet the needs of new mothers and their families:
- Private LDR rooms with DVD players, Internet access and hair dryers
- Concierge parking service
- Coffee and cappuccino bar
- Goody bag to celebrate baby’s arrival
- Follow-up home visit by a trained mother-baby nurse
- Expressions: A Store for Women – a retail shop carrying a variety of items for new mothers and babies
While we encourage rooming-in after your baby is born, a nursery is available 24-hours per day. If your baby requires intensive support after birth, we have a special infant stabilization area on the unit. Parents and siblings can visit 24 hours a day.
Our Level II Special Care Nursery provides extra attention and care. If your baby is critically ill, he or she can stay in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health. Neonatologists and specially trained nurses staff this Level III nursery. Our staff will also help prepare you for your baby's special needs as you return home.
The first few days after childbirth are a special time for you and your family to bond with your newborn. We welcome all people whom you deem as "your family" to visit you during this time.
Maternity Center at IU Health University Hospital
Indiana University Hospital
550 N. University Blvd.
Indianapolis, IN 46202