Leading Edge Surgical Specialists
Providing leading edge surgical treatment for benign and malignant diseases of the breast, endocrine system, abdominal wall, gastrointestinal tract, pancreas and liver, the surgical specialists at Indiana University Health University Hospital have helped redefine and refine general surgery in the United States. Fellowship-trained experts in all of these areas utilize the most up-to-date approaches, including minimally invasive surgical techniques where appropriate, to provide the most efficient recovery without compromising the goal of surgery. Integral components of this nationally ranked service include:
- A full-service general surgery program with a team providing care for patients with soft tissue lumps, inguinal hernias, incisional hernias, gallbladder stones, etc.
- A multidisciplinary program for patients with breast cancer emphasizing breast conservation and sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Modern surgical approaches to thyroid nodules, hyperthyroidism and thyroid cancer, especially papillary, follicular and medullary types
- A multidisciplinary program that includes the availability of endoscopic rather than operative therapy for patients with swallowing problems, heartburn and regurgitation
- Advanced laparoscopic and robotic surgical approaches for surgical conditions of the abdominal wall and all abdominal organs
- A multidisciplinary program for patients with benign or malignant tumors of the liver emphasizing surgical resection when appropriate and adjuvant therapy for selected lesions
Routinely encountering complex surgical problems considered extraordinary elsewhere, the surgical team at IU Health University Hospital is able to approach even the most difficult clinical situations with the confidence of experience. The support of one of the largest medical schools in the country, numerous postgraduate training programs and an advanced research program allow for research developments to be quickly translated into clinical benefits for patients.