Urologists specialize in surgical and medical treatment of the urinary tract.
Our urologists help treat a range of urologic complications.
Jump ahead on this page
Patients come to IU Health urologists because we are known for delivering exceptional outcomes and pioneering new treatments in multiple areas of urology. The Department of Urology was founded in 1887 by Dr. William N. Wishard and was arguably the first Department dedicated exclusively to urology in the USA.
Our services include, but are not limited to:
- Internationally known experts in:
- Genitourinary Cancers
- Stone Disease
- Lithotripsy (ESWL)
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy
- Robotic and Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Prostate Surgery
- Bladder Surgery
- Kidney Surgery
- Adrenal Surgery
- Pediatric urology
- Congenital Bladder
- Urinary Tract Obstruction
- Ambiguous Genitalia
- Undescended Testis
- Bladder Exstrophy
- Voiding Dysfunction
- Urinary reconstruction
- Indiana Pouch
- Urethral stricture repair
- Male sexual dysfunction
- Penile implantation
- Female urology
- Pelvic Floor Reconstruction
- Interstitial Cystitis
- Overactive Bladder
- General Urology
- Artificial Urinary Sphincter
- Genitourinary Cancers
- One of the world’s largest databases for urological cancers. By analyzing thousands of pieces of data, we are learning how to tailor treatments for each individual patient.
We’re building the future
Our urology doctors are educating the next generation of urology specialists through residencies and fellowships at the Indiana University School of Medicine. We’re also very active in advanced research and have been fundamental in the following areas:
- Pioneered nerve sparing RPLND (Retro Peritoneal Lymph Node Dissection) for the treatment of testis cancer; dramatically improving survivorship in this disease.
- Developed the Indiana Pouch continent urinary reservoir.
- The first in the nation to use extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) for the treatment of kidney stones.
- Pioneers in the use of percutaneous and ureteroscopic techniques for kidney stone removal
- One of the first institutions to utilize the holmium laser for kidney stone treatment
- The first in Indiana to perform a laparoscopic nephrectomy (kidney removal)
- The first in the nation to perform a holmium laser enucleation (removal of a mass) of the prostate (HoLEP)
- One of the pioneering institutions to use the daVinci robot for prostate cancer removal
Learn more about urological conditions
You can learn more about urological conditions by visiting the Urology Care Foundation website. On this site, you can find extensive information about urological conditions and procedures.