Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation
Request an Appointment Find a Doctor
At Indiana University Health, our highly skilled physiatrists (doctors certified as specialists in physical and rehabilitation medicine), physical therapists, occupational therapists and speech therapists provide services throughout Indiana to patients of all ages. We treat patients in the hospital and at outpatient clinics, so you can receive convenient therapy at every stage of treatment. We help you get back to your daily routine using exercise, manual therapy techniques and many other noninvasive therapies.
Indiana University Health West Hospital offers comprehensive inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services to meet your every need, including physical, occupational and speech therapy. Outpatient services are located on the garden level of our Professional Office Building, just a short distance from the hospital's main entrance. IU Health West Hospital also offers a complete selection of exercise and fitness equipment to enhance your rehabilitation experience, if needed.
IU Health gives you access to the latest advancements in rehabilitation techniques through our partnership with the Indiana University School of Medicine. We treat problems and prevent future injures by rebuilding your strength and endurance. Using innovative therapies and the latest research, we create personalized treatment plans that fit your needs and specific conditions. Our team of therapists works closely with you to help you achieve your treatment and rehabilitation goals.
Physical therapy services at IU Health West Hospital includes:
- Orthopedic rehabilitation. Our orthopedic rehabilitation specialists help patients restore skills and develop techniques to resume their daily living.
- Sports medicine. Sports medicine involves the prevention and treatment of injuries related to exercise and sports.
- Stroke rehabilitation. Stroke rehabilitation uses various treatments to try to recover patient’s lost function.
- Manual therapy. Manual therapy is a physical treatment provided to treat musculoskeletal pain and disability.
- Pediatric rehabilitation. We provide a multidisciplinary approach to pediatric rehabilitation for infants, toddlers and adolescents.
- Pelvic floor rehabilitation. Pelvic floor rehabilitation can be helpful in improving pelvic muscle tone and preventing urinary incontinence.
- Wound care. Our wound care specialists care for patients with acute or chronic wounds using individualized treatments which encourage your body’s natural processes, helping you heal faster.
- Custom-fit orthotics (sole supports). We mold and form custom-fit orthotics to your feet to help relieve foot problems and pain.
- Brace fitting. Braces are orthopedic appliances used to support, align or hold a body part in the correct position in the case of injury, or as a preventive measure against progressive conditions.
- Gait training. Gait training involves learning how to walk or relearning how to walk after sustaining an injury or disability.
- Balance rehabilitation. Balance rehabilitation is an individualized balance-retraining exercise program that may help decrease dizziness, improve balance and recover daily functional activities.
- Geriatric therapy. Physicians use physical, occupational and speech therapies to help patients improve their quality of life.
- Lymphedemia therapy. Our lymphedemia specialists treat and support patients through this common, but uncomfortable side effect of breast cancer treatment.
Our experts work with you to determine the best treatment for each individual.
Relearning the day-to-day activities that once seemed so simple can be one of life's biggest challenges.
Services offered include:
- Therapy for the upper extremities
- Custom static and dynamic splints to support broken bones and damaged joints
- Adaptive equipment recommendations
- Wheelchair assessments
- Scar remodeling
- Education on independent living and home management
- Pressure garment fitting for the upper extremities
- Pediatric occupational therapy
- Geriatric occupational therapy
Our occupational therapists are here to help and get you back to your typical lifestyle quickly.
IU Health West Hospital provides a wide variety of speech therapy services, including:
- Modified barium swallow studies
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Brain injury rehabilitation
- Swallowing/Dysphagia therapy
- Memory loss rehabilitation
- Aphasia therapy
- Pediatric speech therapy
IU Health West Hospital is one of only a few facilities in Central Indiana with a speech therapist who is certified to offer VitalStim therapy (a noninvasive and pain-free treatment for individuals with difficulty swallowing).