Radiology & Imaging
Request an Appointment Find a Doctor
At Indiana University Health, our radiologists use advanced imaging technologies to diagnose and treat many conditions. Imaging techniques include X-rays, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), ultrasounds and more. We offer radiology services throughout Indiana so you can receive convenient care.
All IU Health locations provide safe care using the lowest doses of radiation possible for the most accurate results. Our physicians have advanced education in reading these images to make proper diagnoses. Indiana University Health West Hospital offers the most sophisticated, all-digital imaging and diagnostic services in a patient-friendly setting. Digital imaging provides the clearest, most accurate picture for physicians to make a diagnosis.
Our staff of board certified radiologists brings a high level of skill and experience in interpreting images. We have additional support in the form of immediate consultation and review by fellow IU Health and Indiana University School of Medicine colleagues who are also experts in the reading of specific types of images. This additional expertise is available to all patients without a second trip to another location and at no additional cost.
Through our partnership with the Indiana University School of Medicine, we can also conduct research into new imaging techniques that can lead to more accurate diagnoses and less invasive treatments.
Jump ahead on this page
IU Health West Hospital offers the following diagnostic imaging services:
- Mammography. Mammography is a diagnostic and screening process that involves using low-energy X-rays to examine the human breast.
- 3D mammography with tomosynthesis. 3D mammography provides hundreds of images to create a 3D model of the patient’s breast for physicians to search for lumps within dense or overlapping breast tissue.
- Magnetic resonance imaging. MRI is an imaging test that uses magnetism, radio waves and a computer to produce images of body structures.
- Nuclear medicine. Nuclear medicine involves the application of radioactive substances in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- Ultrasound. Ultrasound is a type of imaging that uses high-frequency sound waves to look at organs and structures inside the body.
- Computed tomography (CT) scan. A CT scan is an imaging procedure that uses special X-ray equipment to create a series of detailed pictures of areas inside the body.
- Fluoroscopy. Fluoroscopy is a type of medical imaging technique that uses X-rays to obtain real-time, continuous moving images of a part of the body.
Cardiac catheterization involves the insertion of a catheter—or thin, flexible tube—for diagnostic and interventional purposes. The catheter is put into a blood vessel in your arm, groin or neck and threaded to your heart. Your doctor can do diagnostic tests and treatments on your heart through the catheter. Services provided by the cardiac catheterization laboratory at IU Health West Hospital include:
- Diagnostic and interventional cardiology services, including stent placement and angioplasty
- Peripheral vascular services to treat blocked arteries in the extremities, away from the heart
- Peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC) line insertion and maintenance, a form of intravenous (IV) access that can be used for a prolonged period of time
Our diagnostic and catheterization laboratory services are generally scheduled by your physician's office staff.
Some Diagnostic Imaging tests require patients to follow very specific preparation guidelines. And patients always have many questions about the tests they are seeing us for.
Indiana University Health West Hospital wants to be certain patients have all of their questions answered prior to arriving for their procedure. That's why we have comprehensive patient education materials available for download right here on our website.
We invite you to explore and download all of the following materials. And, should you have any questions after reading them, please call us at 317.217.3292. We look forward to assisting you in any way we can.