Pathology & Lab Services
At Indiana University Health, our expert laboratory physicians and staff provide clinical diagnostic testing necessary to assist physicians in monitoring medical conditions for all patient types and ages in the general population. Our physicians, called pathologists, have extensive training and years of experience performing laboratory tests and diagnosing a wide range of conditions from heart attacks to cancer.
Indiana University Health White Memorial Hospital Pathology & Lab Services uses a full-service laboratory to help accurately assess the medical condition of each patient. Our pathologists, medical technologists, lab technicians, phlebotomists and lab assistants provide valuable information to help specialists and primary care physicians monitor and manage your condition to ensure your treatments are working effectively.
A pathologist, serving as our medical director, oversees our services that include these specialties:
- Blood bank. A blood bank is a place where blood collected from donors is typed, stored and prepared for transfusion to patients.
- Chemistry. A comprehensive range of chemistry-based testing used for diagnostic, analytical and disease monitoring.
- Coagulation study. A coagulation study analyzes multiple factors of the blood to determine the presence of disease.
- Hematology. Hematologists and hematopathologists are specially trained physicians who specialize in diseases of the blood and blood components.
- Immunology. Immunology focuses on identifying antibodies, investigating problems with the immune system and determining organ, tissue and fluid compatibility for transplantation.
- Microbiology. Microbiology identifies infectious agents in tissue, bone marrow, blood, urine, sputum, feces and other body fluids.
- Pathology. Pathology focuses on the causes and effects of diseases through the laboratory examination of body tissue for diagnostic or forensic purposes.
- Toxicology. Medical toxicology focuses on the diagnosis, management and prevention of poisoning and other adverse health effects due to medications, occupational and environmental toxins and biological agents.
- Urinalysis. Urinalysis is the physical, chemical and microscopic examination of urine.
- Virology. Virology provides a full range of diagnostic services for the detection and monitoring of viral illnesses.
IU Health White Memorial Hospital Laboratory provides 24 hours a day, seven days a week service for emergency medicine and inpatient services. Our certifications include American Medical Technologists (AMT), American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) and American Association of Bioanalysts (AAB). Through our partnership with the Indiana University School of Medicine, we provide quick, accurate results to physicians throughout Indiana.
Open Monday – Friday, 7 am – 6 pm (closed Sundays and holidays)
Open Saturday, 8 am – 2 pm