Request an Appointment Find a Doctor
Indiana University Health physicians improve women’s well-being through personalized, patient-centered healthcare. We place special emphasis on preventive medicine and early detection of women’s health problems.
At Indiana University Health White Memorial Hospital, our gynecologic team has advanced training and years of experience in addressing the healthcare needs of women in every stage of their adult lives.
Gynecologic services include:
- Bone density scans. We offer bone densitometry testing using X-rays, dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) or quantitative computed tomography (CT) scanning using special software to determine bone density.
- Contraception services. Contraception methods that require a visit to your healthcare provider for an examination and a prescription include birth control pills, synthetic hormone implant, progesterone-like drug injection, a contraception patch, a diaphragm, a contraceptive ring or an intrauterine device.
- Digital mammography. Our digital mammography services provide detailed images that enable our radiologists to detect irregularities at an early stage when treatment often results in the best outcomes.
- Endometriosis. Treatment for endometriosis may include watchful waiting, pain medicines, hormone therapy, laparoscopic surgery and hysterectomy.
- Gynecological surgery. Gynecologic surgeries we perform include laparoscopic, vaginal and abdominal hysterectomies, hysteroscopy, dilation and curettage, incontinence surgery, tubal ligations, endometrial ablation, cystocele, enterocele and vaginal prolapse.
- Menopause. Menopause treatment may include hormone replacement therapy and a bone density exam.
- Urinary incontinence. Treatments we offer for urinary incontinence include lifestyle modification for pelvic floor health, medicines, physical therapy, a pessary device, outpatient urethral sling surgery, surgery for pelvic organ prolapse, mesh graft, sacral neuromodulation, surgery for pudendal nerve entrapment, fistula repair and Botox® injections.
- Well-women visits. We offer well-women visits that include recommended preventive services, including a breast exam and pap smear.
Our gynecologists are experts in their field, often involved in research and innovative treatments.
Breast cancer is a malignant (cancer) tumor in the cells of the breasts. It is the second most common cancer among women in the United States. Breast cancer can also develop in men, but it is more frequently diagnosed in women. Early detection can improve treatment outcomes. Mammograms, breast ultrasound (also called sonography) and breast exams can aid in identifying breast cancer early.
The American Cancer Society recommends annual mammograms for women 40 years of age and older, and periodic clinical breast exams for women 20 to 39 years of age. Breast self-exams can also be conducted and combined with recommended exams and screenings. When a lump is detected in women in their 30's, IU Health White Memorial also offers breast ultrasound prior to any mammogram.
- Clinical Breast Exams and Breast Self-Exams. Breast exams are recommended for women 20 years of age and older. They can be continued in combination with other recommended screening methods. A clinical breast exam is performed by a healthcare provider. It is a part of a health exam. A breast self-exam is a systematic, step-by-step approach. Self-exams can help women understand the normal look and feel of their breast and identify changes.
- Mammogram. A mammogram is one of the most common breast cancer screenings. It is an X-ray of the breast that allows your healthcare provider to detect breast cancer tumors that may be too small to be felt. Mammograms do not prevent breast cancer, but they do allow for early detection. During a mammogram the breast is compressed between the two plates that are attached to the mammogram equipment. Compression helps to produce a more detailed image by thinning the breast tissue. The screening takes about 20 minutes.
- Breast Ultrasound. During a breast ultrasound, a machine uses sound waves to produce images (sonograms) of areas inside the breast.
Get your mammogram.
To schedule your mammogram, call 574.583.1714.
IU Health White Memorial Hospital
720 South Sixth Street
Monticello, IN 47960