Family Medicine Residency
Welcome to the Family Medicine Residency Program at Indiana University Health Ball Memorial Hospital in Muncie.
Thank you for checking out our site, and for your interest in our residency program. IU Health Ball Memorial Family Medicine has a national reputation for top-quality training in the full breadth of our vital specialty, including strong procedural and global health experience, in the setting of a wonderfully supportive, family-friendly atmosphere. Residents from all across the nation come to IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital to interview with our program and learn more about the opportunities with us.
Why future family physicians get excited about our program:
- Our residents may tailor their training to meet their interests and future practice plans. We have recent graduates who are full-spectrum, ambulatory-only, sports medicine, hospitalist, emergency department, urgent care and entrepreneurs. Graduates also practice in urban, suburban and rural settings. Our focused training tracks encourage residents to identify interests and opportunities early in their training.
- We treat our residents as adult, professional medical learners. Our residents have continuity patients in personal panels for all three years of residency and follow those patients both inpatient and outpatient. Residents are respected throughout the hospital, and will experience a high level of autonomy throughout their training.
- Dedicated, energetic faculty bring a variety of experience from different backgrounds in family medicine including private practice, military, emergency and hospitalist medicine.
- We provide excellent ambulatory training in our $9.5 million, 62,000-square-foot Edmund F. Ball Medical Education Center. The center, which was completed in 2000, also houses the Muncie campus of the IU School of Medicine and the Janice B. Fisher Learning (simulation) Center. Our residency practice is recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance as a level 2 Patient-Centered Medical Home.
- Comprehensive, structured inpatient experiences in adult medicine, critical care, pediatrics, neonatal and maternity care are balanced for optimal learning and provide an outstanding diversity of experience.
- Interested residents learn advanced procedures from the moment they enter training. Opportunities exist for training in cesarean section, colonoscopy, colposcopy and more.
- Residents have many opportunities to experience care of the underserved, locally, nationally and globally. Each year, residents travel to Kenya, Mexico and many other destinations on short-term medical missions.
- We innovate. We are constantly adapting to a changing healthcare environment. Residents are seen as leaders within healthcare, both here and in the larger system. You will have a voice to advocate and opportunities to grow your skills in leading teams and community advocacy.
- As the first accredited family medicine program in Indiana, IU Health Ball Memorial Family Medicine Residency has a proud tradition of excellence in educating family doctors. IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital is one of the premier training programs in the nation, and our compassionate, supportive atmosphere also makes us one of the friendliest.
- Please visit with us to learn how we can help you achieve your goals and become the best family doctor you can be.
Justin Whitt, MD, FAAFP
IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital
Family Medicine Residency