I-70 closures on west side start May 22; east side work continues
May 14, 2020
The Indiana Department of Transportation plans to take advantage of the ongoing traffic slowdown due to COVID-19 to close Interstate 70 in both directions on the west side of Indianapolis, between the south-split interchange and Ronald Reagan Parkway for about 30 days each starting later this month.
- Eastbound I-70 lanes will close starting May 22, with reopening scheduled for June 28.
- Westbound lanes will close June 26, with a planned reopening on July 30.
- INDOT suggests drivers headed west on I-70 during the shutdown take I-465 southbound to the Ronald Reagan Parkway collector lanes to reach the airport. Or, continue north on I-465 to get back to I-70.
- INDOT also suggests to access I-70 eastbound from the airport, take the collector lanes to I-465 northbound and stay on I-465 until it connects with I-70 eastbound.
Road crews will patch concrete and work on bridge joints and bridge decks. All collector lanes to and from the Indianapolis International Airport will remain open. Closures on the west side projects will remain in effect during both the Memorial Day and July 4 holiday weekends.
Meanwhile, on the east side
Because of the COVID-19-related traffic reductions, INDOT has similar closures going on right now on I-70 between I-465 and the north-split interchange on the east side of Indianapolis.
- Eastbound lanes of I-70 in this stretch are planned to reopen May 13.
- Westbound lanes are planned to reopen May 23.
- From the airport to I-70 eastbound: Take I-70 EB to I-465 SB to I-70 EB.
- From downtown Indianapolis to I-70 eastbound: Take I-65 SB to I-465 EB to I-70 EB.
- From I-70 westbound to downtown Indianapolis: Take I-465 SB to I-65 NB to downtown Indianapolis.
- From I-70 westbound to the airport: Take I-465 SB to I-70 WB on the southwest side.
INDOT says traffic is down about 40% on average across the area, compared to the week before the stay-at-home order went in effect. Accelerated construction will allow work to be done before major area events resume and traffic returns to normal levels.
Stay informed and monitor north split progress, road closures, road conditions and traffic alerts any time using these links: