Diabetes & Endocrinology
The strength it takes to overcome.Our endocrinologists have the experience to help you manage chronic disorders.
Indiana University Health uses the latest medical advances to treat disorders of the endocrine system, such as diabetes, hyperthyroidism, thyroid cancer and adrenal and pituitary conditions. Our focus is on delivering long-term results to our patients, utilizing the latest treatments and medical technology.
With more than 50 years of experience, IU Health Diabetes & Endocrinology provides a wide range of diagnostic, treatment and educational resources with a singular goal: improving your health. Our team of experts includes board certified endocrinologists, nurse practitioners and certified diabetes educators, to help you learn more about your illness so you can better manage it and go on enjoying life.
IU Health Diabetes & Endocrinology is providing solutions for everyday management of chronic and acute endocrine disorders, including:
• Full-service Diabetes Centers with programs in early detection, education and self-management
• A team of certified diabetes educators, including dietitians and nurses with specialized training in diabetes care and education
• A wide range of outpatient programs and services to help you manage diabetes and disorders of the endocrine system.
• The most advanced treatments for patients with serious disorders of the endocrine system, including thyroid disease, osteoporosis and pituitary tumors.
• Access to the most timely research breakthroughs and scientific developments—including clinical trials
We recognize the impact diabetes and disorders of the endocrine system can have on our patients’ lives. That’s why we’re dedicated to providing comprehensive, personalized treatment plans, helping you get back on track to a healthy, complete life.
Diabetes & Endocrinology Treatment
At IU Health, we treat the full range of diabetes and endocrine conditions and symptoms, including:
- Diabetes—types 1, 2 and Gestational (during pregnancy)
- Thyroid disease and cancer
- Complications of menopause
- Lipid disorders
- Growth hormone disorders
- Pituitary disorders
- Adrenal disorders
Our board certified endocrinologists bring expertise and compassion to each patient’s care, developing individualized plans and offering the latest treatment options, including:
Our endocrinology services give you the full spectrum of care to effectively manage your condition. We work to restore a normal balance of hormones in your system, using the latest diagnostic tools and treatment options, including:
- Bone densitometry
- Calcium metabolism testing
- Cholesterol Treatment Program
- Infusion therapy for osteoporosis
- Osteoporosis diagnosis and management
- Thyroid disease, cancer, biopsy and ultrasound
Our team of certified diabetes educators, dietitians and nurses with specialized training in diabetes care and education work collaboratively to develop treatment plans that best suit each individual patient. Uncontrolled diabetes can put a person at risk for complications such as increased risk for heart attack and stroke, kidney, nerve and eye damage, erectile dysfunction, peripheral arterial disease and periodontal disease. We believe patients have the best chance of a healthy life by learning how to self-manage the disease before any extensive damage occurs.
We specialize in:
- Type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- Gestational diabetes
- Intensive insulin management and pump therapy
- Pre-diabetes and diabetes prevention
Our educators will partner with you, your family and your doctor to help you manage your diabetes. We recognize each of our patients is different and require unique needs. Together, we will develop an individualized plan to help you learn skills on how best to control your form of diabetes based on your specific lifestyle.
If you or a family member have been diagnosed with diabetes, Indiana University Health Diabetes Centers offers outpatient clinical and educational services, including individualized treatment plans, to help manage your condition. Our team of experienced diabetes educators has created a comprehensive program to help you and your family gain the knowledge and skills you need to achieve and maintain control of your diabetes. Our educational classes are certified by the American Diabetes Association and taught by registered nurses and dieticians specializing in diabetes.
Services offered at the centers include:
- Comprehensive Diabetes Education
- Individual consultations
- Diabetes Prevention Program
- Insulin initiation and regulation
- Insulin pump education
- Gestational diabetes classes
- Diabetes counseling
- Meal Planning
At Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health, pediatric endocrinologists provide comprehensive services for infants, children, and adolescents with diseases or disorders of the endocrine glands, such as thyroid disease or diabetes. Our team of experienced practitioners, in partnership with the Indiana University School of Medicine, specializes in treating all endocrine problems of infancy, childhood and adolescence. These include growth disorders, Turner syndrome, disorders of sex development, delayed and precocious puberty, congenital and acquired disorders of thyroid function, hypoglycemia, disorders of calcium metabolism, adrenal disorders, diabetes insipidus and anterior pituitary dysfunction.
Our Pediatric Diabetes Team cares for over 1800 children with diabetes in Indiana and beyond, generating individualized treatment plans as unique as each child. In addition to evaluation and treatment, an important part of our Endocrinology program at Riley Hospital is providing extensive educational and support services for our patients and their families.
Diabetes & Endocrinology Team
IU Health Diabetes & Endocrinology is home to a team of highly skilled healthcare professionals all working together to help you achieve optimal health outcomes.
Our team includes:
- Board certified endocrinologists and nurse practitioners emphasizing a personal approach to care
- Certified diabetes educators, partnering with you, your family and your doctor to help you confidently manage your diabetes.
- Certified pump trainers skilled in the education of various insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring systems
- A staff of experienced registered dieticians who can help you learn how to make dietary and lifestyle modifications
- Leading clinicians and researchers