Diabetes & Endocrinology
Request an Appointment Find a Doctor
The multidisciplinary physicians, surgeons, nurses and educators in endocrinology at Indiana University Health University Hospital provide the most advanced care in the region for all endocrinology diseases, including diabetes, thyroid disease, lipid disorders and metabolic bone disease. In children, we treat Type 1 diabetes, growth disorders and puberty disorders.
As clinical leaders, our experts deliver a comprehensive plan of care to help balance hormones and improve your bodily functions, which includes:
- The latest medical advances to treat disorders of the endocrine system, such as diabetes, hyperthyroidism, thyroid cancer, osteoporosis, high cholesterol and adrenal and pituitary conditions.
- Board certified endocrinologists, including world experts in bone and mineral diseases and diabetes.
- A broad range of outpatient programs and services to help patients manage diabetes, disorders of the endocrine system, complex metabolic bone disease and high LDL cholesterol that does not respond to drug therapy.
- Full-service Diabetes Centers with programs in early detection and self-management, as well as access to certified diabetes educators.
Through our partnership with the Indiana University School of Medicine, we conduct ongoing research that benefits patients right now. Our fellowship-trained endocrinologists offer enrollment in leading edge clinical trials. Our research initiatives include a national program in metabolic bone disease, the genetics of hypertension and osteoporosis, and the multiple aspects of diabetes, such as vascular complications.
IU Health Diabetes is the only high performing program in the state according to U.S.News & World Report’s 2016-17 rankings. Our team provides comprehensive care including medication management, education and treatment. We offer a wide range of outpatient services, including nutrition counseling and diabetes classes. We work with you to manage and monitor your condition to ensure an effective treatment plan.
We offer the latest technological advancements in diabetes care that includes:
- Leading-edge therapies, including insulin pump therapy and glucose sensing devices for the most complex diabetic patient.
- Full-service diabetes centers with certified diabetes educators, including dietitians and nurses with specialized training in diabetes care and education. We also offer programs in early detection and self-management to help you confidently manage your diabetes.
- Certified pump trainers to teach patients how to use various insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring systems.
- Intensive monitoring and treatment of diabetes during pregnancy.
Jump ahead on this page
With world experts in bone disease on staff, the Indiana University Health University Hospital Center for Bone Disease brings you the very latest in treatment options for metabolic bone disease, including treatment and management of osteoporosis. Services include:
- On-site dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scan for bone densitometry testing for osteoporosis.
- Infusion therapy for osteoporosis, including the latest biologic drug therapies to prevent or significantly slow down bone damage.
- The latest therapies for a variety of metabolic bone disorders, including Paget's disease, bone disease caused by cancer chemotherapy, disorders causing high blood calcium, disorders causing low blood phosphorus, hypophosphatasia and others.
Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) is the major cholesterol carrying lipoprotein in your blood. LDL apheresis is a procedure that takes blood outside the body to remove the LDL cholesterol and then returns the plasma and blood back to the body. This procedure is used if diet or lipid-lowering drug therapy has not adequately lowered very high LDL levels in patients with coronary artery disease. The board certified endocrinologists at IU Health University Hospital have more than 10 years of experience with apheresis treatments. Treatment is provided in our private apheresis treatment suite at our north office location.
Our specialists are known for our expert treatment of thyroid disease, thyroid cancer, thyroid nodules hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism, and thyroid disorders during pregnancy. Our on-site ultrasound services also provide us with a diagnostic edge that offer better outcomes for our patients.
Call direct: 317.944.8660
We are located at: 550 University Blvd., Indianapolis, IN 46202
Any physician, healthcare professional or healthcare agency may refer a patient to IU Health University Hospital endocrinology services.
Call direct: 317.944.8660