Indiana University Health Bloomington Hospital Emergency Medical Transport Services is considered a very progressive ambulance service, providing the highest level of prehospital care available in Indiana.
IU Health Bloomington Hospital Emergency Medical Transport Services is very selective of staff, requiring that each new applicant go through tough didactic and practical skills testing before being considered. IU Health Bloomington Emergency Medical Transport Services utilizes state of the art equipment, which allows our EMTs and paramedics the ability to provide top quality patient care. IU Health Blomington Hospital Emergency Medical Transport Services is the sole 911 provider for Monroe County, and provides multiple services in order to meet all patients and customers needs. IU Health Bloomington Hospital Emergency Medical Transport Services is a leader in Indiana in implementation of new and lifesaving procedures such as continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP).
Services through IU Health Bloomington Hospital Emergency Medical Transport
- Scheduled non-emergency ambulances transports in and out of the county and state.
- Wheelchair transportation service (Assisted Medical Transport) that transported over 7,400 patients in 2005.
IU Health Bloomington Hospital Emergency Medical Transport Services boasts an excellent response time for 911 dispatches in Monroe County. The national average, or standard is eight to 10 minutes, 90 percent of the time. The IU Health Bloomington Hospital Emergency Medical Transport Services average response time is 7.9 minutes.
Our highly-trained staff of 55 Paramedics and 45 EMT's ensure that at least one paramedic is on every ambulance and an experienced Paramedic Supervisor is on every shift for additional assistance and specialized equipment and expertise. All personnel certified in:PHTLS, ACLS, CPR, PEPP or PALS, and must go through annual skills competencies. Some staff carry additional certifications such as AMLS, GEMS, CCEMT-P, SWAT.
Code to certifications
- ACLS - Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- PHTLS - Prehospital Trauma Life Support
- PEPP - Pediatric Education for Prehospital Professionals
- GEMS - Geriatric Education for Emergency Medical Services
- AMLS -Advanced Medical Life Support
- CCEMT-P - Critical Care Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic