Firearms and Families
It's a fact that children who live in homes where guns are present are in more danger of being shot by themselves, their friends or family members than of being injured by an intruder.
The best way to keep your children safe from injury or death from guns is to NEVER have a gun in the home:
- Do not purchase a gun, especially a handgun.
- Remove all guns present in the home.
- Talk to your children about the dangers of guns, and tell them to stay away from guns.
- Find out if there are guns in the homes where your children play. If so, talk to the adults in the house about the dangers of guns to their families.
For those who know of the dangers of guns but still keep a gun in the home:
- Always keep the gun unloaded and locked up.
- Lock and store the bullets in a separate place.
- Make sure to hide the keys to the the locked boxes. It is best to keep all guns out of the home. Handguns are especially dangerous.