- Specialties & Details
- Related Stories
Dr. Jonathan Fridell’s area of clinical practice is pancreas transplantation, either with a kidney transplant or alone, for patients with Type 1 diabetes with hypoglycemic unawareness.
He is the chief of abdominal transplantation and surgical director of the IU Health pancreas transplant program in Indianapolis, one of the highest volume programs in the country since 2007. He joined the Indiana University School of Medicine in 2002 where he is a professor of surgery. Dr. Fridell has been involved in the growth of the pancreas and liver transplant programs and helped initiate the intestine/multivisceral transplant program at IU Health.
Dr. Fridell is a native of Montreal, Canada, where he received his MD degree and surgical training at McGill University. He completed a transplant surgery fellowship at the Thomas E. Starzl Transplant Institute at the University of Pennsylvania.
Dr. Fridell’s expertise and research interests include pancreas and liver transplantation. As a leader in his field, he is past chair of the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) Pancreas Transplant Committee as well as associate editor of the American Journal of Transplantation and deputy editor of Clinical Transplantation. In 2020, Dr. Fridell was named the medical staff recipient of the IU Health President’s Values Leadership Award.
Insurance plans accepted by this provider are below.
- Aetna Medicare Advantage
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Anthem Healthy Indiana Plan
- Anthem Hoosier Care Connect
- Anthem Hoosier Healthwise
- Anthem Medicare Advantage
- Anthem Medicare HMO
- Anthem Medicare PPO
- Anthem Pathway Essentials Network
- Care Source Healthy Indiana Plan
- Care Source Hoosier Healthwise
- Community Health Network - Employee Plan
- ProHealth/Community Health System
- CorVel/Corecare - Workers Compensation
- Encore Workers Compensation
- Health Alliance Medicare Advantage
- Humana Medicare Advantage
- Indiana Health Network - Workers Compensation
- Indiana University Health - Workers Compensation
- IU Health Plans Medicare Advantage
- Managed Health Services Healthy Indiana Plan
- Managed Health Services Hoosier Care Connect
- Managed Health Services Hoosier Healthwise
- Managed Health Services Medicare Advantage
- MDWise Excel Healthy Indiana Plan
- MDWise Excel Hoosier Healthwise
- Parkview Health Plan Signature Care PPO
- Point Comfort - Refugee Medical Assistance Program
- Point Comfort - Unaccompanied Children Program
- The Healthcare Group Encircle
- The Healthcare Group Encore
- TriCare Select
- United DSNP
- United HMO
- United HealthCare
- United HealthCare Hoosier Care Connect
- United Medicare Advantage
- United PPO
- VA - CCN via United Healthcare
Note: Although this listing was accurate at the time of posting, insurances change regularly, and insurance plans listed may not be accepted at all office locations for this provider. Please confirm with your insurance company that this provider is covered by your plan before your appointment.
Specialties & Details
Conditions & Treatments:
Liver, Pancreas & Kidney Transplantation, Kidney Transplant, Liver Transplant, Intestine Transplant, Multivisceral Transplant
School of Medicine:
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Hospitals & Affiliations
IU Health Methodist/IU Health University
IU Health Physicians
Very special guests honored at celebration
The IU Health Abdominal Transplant Team recently c...
Living Donors Celebrated for Selfless Acts of Compassion
By IU Health Senior Journalist, TJ Banes, tfender1...