International Patient Care Services
Top-ranked care for patients from all over the world
IU Health is committed to providing patients with compassionate, world-class care and support.
Our state-of-the-art care is matched by our commitment to patient service. We offer a personalized approach designed to meet the special needs of our patients and their families at every stage of their visit to IU Health.
Why Choose IU Health?
We strive to be a global healthcare leader and are committed to providing patients with world-renowned medical care and support services. IU Health is one of the largest and most comprehensive academic healthcare systems in the United States and is recognized internationally for strong medical innovation and clinical leadership in many adult and pediatric specialties, including organ transplants, neurosurgery, urology, oncology and gastroenterology.
We collaborate as a team with everyone involved in providing the best care, including referring physicians, embassies and family members.
Indiana University School of Medicine
Thanks to our partnership with Indiana University School of Medicine, the largest medical school in the U.S., our physicians and patients have access to the most advanced treatment options and leading-edge therapies available first – and often only – at IU Health. We've pioneered many of these life-changing treatments ourselves, such as revolutionary testicular cancer treatments and the HoLEP (holmium laser enucleation of the prostate) procedure.
Why Choose Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health?
Riley Children's Health is one of the largest and most comprehensive pediatric healthcare systems in the world. We are consistently ranked among the best children's hospitals in the U.S. for many pediatric specialties, including cardiovascular surgery, oncology, neurosurgery and urology. Our caring teams of pediatric experts are dedicated to helping children across the globe receive the treatment they need to live happy, healthy lives.
Since 1924, we have cared for millions of children and continue to build on our strength and experience to offer quality care. Through our partnership with the Indiana University School of Medicine, your child has access to the latest clinical trials and care based on the newest medical research.
Virtual medicine makes it possible for patients abroad to receive world-class care from IU Health physicians no matter where they are in the world. With virtual consultation, your home country physician can:
- Meet in real time with our multidisciplinary specialists using a camera-enabled tablet or computer.
- Collaborate with your care team through our secure, encrypted app-based platform.
- Determine the right treatment plan or do a follow-up visit virtually without requiring you to travel.
- Share encrypted patient vitals using Wi-Fi enabled and wired peripherals, including hand-held cameras, close-up dermatoscope, otoscope, stethoscope, basal thermometer and others.
- Chat and message with IU Health team members, all within the patient record.
Watch this video to learn more about virtual consultations.
Patient Service and Support
Any medical diagnosis can be intimidating. Traveling for medical treatment, even when it's for the best care, can make it feel more complicated. At IU Health, our physicians collaborate with home physicians and care teams to ensure high-quality, consistent care. Our experienced and compassionate clinical coordinators are dedicated to assisting patients and their families with every aspect of their visit, so receiving top-rated medical care from IU Health never becomes a burden.
Our clinical coordinators will help you plan every part of your visit, from making travel arrangements and scheduling appointments to collaborating with insurance providers and embassies. They will make sure your visit is as stress-free as possible, so you can focus on getting well.
Scheduling and Navigation
You won't be left alone to plan the logistics of your visit to IU Health. From coordinating travel to scheduling appointments, our team will be with you every step of the way.
- Our clinical coordinators will match you with the best physicians to meet your – or your loved one's – specific needs.
- We will schedule all necessary medical appointments to accommodate the timeframe of your visit.
- If needed, we will provide escort services to your appointments and assist you with the registration process.
Financial and Billing Support
When it comes to paying for medical care, we are committed to providing consistent, transparent communication. Before, during and following your visit, our clinical coordinators will make sure all your financial questions are answered.
- If you have international insurance, we will collect your insurance information before your visit and ensure you understand your anticipated coverage and out-of-pocket costs.
- We will prepare an all-inclusive estimate of charges based on anticipated services and provide a summary of all medical services provided following your visit.
- A clinical coordinator will assist you in making payment arrangements and coordinating with insurance providers and embassies as needed.
Communication and Coordination
Throughout your full experience with IU Health International Patient Care Services, we will make sure you're comfortable, confident and in-the-know.
- Our staff will provide constant support for you and your family from start to finish when you visit IU Health.
- We will assist in planning any specialized travel arrangements.
- We will facilitate communication between your home physicians and IU Health physicians.
- Your clinical coordinator will serve as the primary point of contact for any future correspondence even after you return home.
- We will facilitate ongoing communication with your embassy as appropriate.
Information for Travelers
Whether you're traveling from elsewhere in the Midwest or from across the world, we are here to support you before, during and after your visit.
Traveling for any reason requires careful planning. We are here to ensure that every detail of your trip is accounted for and that your stay is comfortable from beginning to end.
Travel and Transportation
The Indianapolis International Airport (IND) is the closest international airport, located approximately 20 minutes west of downtown Indianapolis and the IU Health campus. If you are an international patient or traveling from abroad, your clinical coordinator can assist you in arranging ground transportation from the airport.
If you are traveling by car, parking is available at all IU Health locations, either in surface lots, garages or both. You can find parking information for each of our locations on dedicated location pages.
Prior to arrival, our clinical coordinators are able to help find accommodations for each patient and their family. Patients may have access to discounted hotel rates in Indianapolis via the ProCare Network. Call +1.317.974.2039 for assistance (available 24 hours a day, seven days per week) or visit the ProCare Network website.
We will provide the necessary documentation to expedite the processing of the patient’s visa to travel to Indianapolis. Your clinical coordinator will be able to answer any visa questions you may have.
Travel & Leisure named Indianapolis one of "America’s Favorite Places,” Food & Wine put us on their list of “32 Places to Go (And Eat) in 2019” and Condé Nast Traveler called Indy one of “America’s Best Big Cities.” Indianapolis is home to world-class universities, a vibrant arts scene and a diversity of cultural amenities — including churches, temples and mosques, as well as grocery stores, marketplaces and Halal restaurants. There are many activities for families to enjoy, including the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis (the world’s largest children’s museum) and the Indianapolis Zoo. To learn more about Indianapolis, view the Visit Indy site.
Learn about activities your whole family can enjoy in Indianapolis.
Indianapolis Fast Facts:
- 16th largest city in the U.S.
- Home to the country’s largest medical university, 285 international companies and some of the most robust bioscience and research organizations in the world.
- Located within one day’s drive from 80% of the U.S. and a 90-minute flight from New York City and Washington, D.C.
- Cost of living index is 30% lower than New York City and 6.5% below the national average.
- Adult Specialties
- Pediatric Specialties
Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate (HoLEP)
Blood & Bone Marrow Stem Cell Transplant & Immune Cell Therapy
Riley Heart Center
Pediatric Cardiovascular Surgery
Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit
Stem Cell Transplants
Cleft & Craniofacial Anomalies Program
- Adult Specialties
- Pediatric Specialties