Unrivaled Capabilities & Technology
Our highly skilled team brings the IU Health standard of care to patients in need, from neonatal to adult.
- IU Health LifeLine carries blood products on critical care transports, air and ground
- Affiliated with two Level I trauma centers, including Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health—the only Level I pediatric trauma center in the state
- Unique partnership with IU School of Medicine provides access to the latest in medical technology, research, and simulation training
IU Health LifeLine operates a fleet of well-equipped medical helicopters and Mobile Intensive Care Units (MICUs) that give our team the ability to care for critically ill patients in situations when others cannot.
The first priority of IU Health LifeLine is safety—we are proud of our 38-year accident free history. We uphold strict standards for our air and ground fleets that meet and exceed state and federal regulations.
- Rigorous schedule of maintenance and inspection
- Twin engine aircraft with dual systems provides superior safety during flight
- Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) technology allows for safe operation in low visibility weather
- Live and satellite radar
- Helicopter Terrain Awareness and Warning System (HTAWS)
Room to Work
Our fleet of EC145 twin engine aircraft provides more patient care space and larger weight limits than any other medical helicopter in the region. The size of our cabin allows full patient access on a standard ambulance stretcher, as well as the ability to add additional crew members for complex patients.
IU Health LifeLine crew members have advanced certifications and are highly trained to treat the most complex patients. Our team can be customized based on the specific needs of the patient. Examples of additional crew include high risk obstetric nurses, neonatal nurse practitioners, and even advanced specialists from IU Health Methodist Hospital.
Rapid Response that Covers a Lot of Ground
IU Health LifeLine serves customers throughout the state of Indiana, as well as Western Ohio and Eastern Illinois. We will transport to any appropriate hospital, including those outside the Indiana University Health system.
With five base locations throughout Indiana, IU Health LifeLine is able to provide critical care transport at a moments notice. View our service area map for the estimated response times.
IU Health LifeLine helicopters are operated by Metro Aviation, Inc.