With a continued commitment and a bold approach to diversity, equity and inclusion, we are the place where many voices and perspectives come together to improve the health of our communities today and in the future.
This promise requires us to be among the very best at what we do and to hold ourselves accountable. Here's how:
- Expand feedback methods to accurately reflect the diverse voices of our patients and families
- Ensure IU Health is an LGBTQ+ friendly environment for patients and team members
- Design a talent acquisition process that improves our ability to attract racial and ethnic minority candidates
Coming Together for a Common Goal
Affinity groups at IU Health are an excellent way to connect with team members from diverse backgrounds, learn from one another and grow both personally and professionally. These team member- driven meetings are an opportunity for our team members to:
- Network with colleagues
- Exchange ideas
- Establish visibility
- Grow professionally and enhance the organization
IU Health affinity groups include:
- IU Health Pride: The IU Health Statewide Pride Affinity group provides a forum for LGBTQ+ individuals, along with allies, to come together to build support, provide employee advocacy, and develop organizational culture through participation in community programs and Pride events.
- Minority Professionals: The IU Health Minority Affinity group provides a space for ethnic minority team members to connect and share experiences. The minority affinity group supports diversity & inclusion efforts systemwide and creates safe spaces for dialogue among team members from all backgrounds. They host professional development forums, conduct strategic planning processes and host public events inviting the broader IU Health community to build cross-cultural networks. Together the group builds community; learns from one another and creates a supportive network through diverse lenses.
- Veterans and Military Services: The Veterans and Military Services affinity group serves as a way for military and veteran team members, and their supporters, in the IU Health system to use their voice, unique skills and expertise they bring to the organization in a meaningful way. The group provides opportunities to participate in professional and leadership development and celebrates the contributions of veterans and team members in the military services to IU Health’s culture.
- Women’s INitiative: The IU Health Women's INitiative (WIN) affinity group is a community that supports and advocates for women at IU Health. Their mission is to offer inspiration throughout the organization by raising the voice and visibility of women, the unique issues they face and how they are making a difference; educate and provide opportunities for women to develop leadership skills; influence/advocate for women via a strong and broad network of mentors and sponsors focused on creating a diverse organization; and expand gender partnerships, conversations, and collaborations.
- Young Professionals: Young Professionals of IU Health provides opportunities for young professionals to connect and grow and is dedicated to supporting the personal and professional development of team members; inspiring and cultivating the next generation of IU Health leaders; fostering a community of collaboration through service, education and other charitable activities; providing young professionals with tools to achieve physical, mental, emotional and financial wellness; and assisting in improving employee recruitment, engagement and retention, among other initiatives.
Diversity and Inclusion Across the Health System
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion partners with teams across the organization, such as patient experience, community outreach and design and construction, to ensure diversity, equity and inclusion is imbedded where necessary. We especially work closely with the Office of Health Equity Research & Outreach to ensure clinical care is seen through the lens of its diverse patients and communities.